Tractor Trouble


Finally decided to fix the tractor yesterday.

After 3 years of service, the tractor finally decided to start giving me problems.  I’m not talking about regular problems like fixing busted blades or stuff like that, I’m talking about belts stripping and flopping around while I’m trying to run it.

Got the main drive belt and started to put it on.  That in itself is a MAJOR issue.  In order to do this I had to do the following;

  • Remove the battery
  • Remove the battery casing/holder
  • Remove the blade deck
  • Remove the guards and guides
  • REMOVE THE ENGINE

Now, when I say remove the engine, I mean actually unbolting the engine from the frame and lifting it so I could get the new belt around the pulley.

Thank God my father in law helped because I’d probably still be there trying to futz with it.

Anywho, after we got the new belt on (which was a ROYAL pain because of the tighteners, arms, pulleys, bolts, etc). I took the tractor out for a spin and started to do some work with it.

Well, I got quite a bit of work done before I started smelling yet again, burning rubber.  Started around the side and got to a spot I needed reverse.  Put it in reverse, no reverse.  Tried forward, no forward, tried reverse again, nothing.  RRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH.

Turns out the smaller drive belt is now sheared down to nothing more than a paper thin shell.  Well, looks like I’m going to have to work on it again.

It’s always something getting in the way.  Kind of makes me want to go back to the old reel mower (which I do have but need to sharpen).

Advertisements

~ by Normanomicon on June 11, 2010.

 
%d bloggers like this: