Flood Waters were rising


Hey everybody, no, I didn’t fall off the earth again, was dealing with something all last week and didn’t have a chance to post.

Some of you may have heard of a bit of flooding due to all of the rain we had last week.  More information over at the York Daily Record if you want more info.

Susquehanna River levels are at minor flood stage this morning, and by Friday morning they will reach moderate flooding in Harrisburg, Marietta and Wrightsville, according to the National Weather Service in State College. Locally, in Wrightsville, the river is expected to reach 52 feet early tomorrow.

Basement had about two inches if I’m not mistaken, which is a heck of a lot better than the last time we flooded around five years ago (I think).  Back then we had a total of about five foot of water, 2.5 feet one day, gas operated evacuation pump ran out of fuel overnight and I woke up to 2.5 more feet of water.  We lost close to $15,000.00 that time including my entire office, the game room/library, a few thousand in books including some first print and irreplaceable ones.  Most of my computer equipment including firewalls, servers, etc.  And to top it off, the only thing we had to cover the cost was sewage and backup coverage since we’re not in a flood plane.  So we recovered about a third of what we lost.

Because of that, we ended up having a very nice two inch solid waste submersible sump which we left in place and it has served us fine till now.  Unfortunately, it gave up the ghost in the middle of all of this and that was what really let the water start filling us up again.

Overall, we ended up buying three 1/2 horsepower and one 1/3 horsepower submersible sumps, along with our gas operated one and we were in business.  It was a three day ordeal, had to miss work, made a lot of cleanup and several trips to Home Depot to get supplies, pumps, etc.  But we were able to keep the flood waters to a manageable level.

We only lost around $1,000.00 this time around I believe but most of it was old clothes, some food from the pantry, etc.  Overall, the biggest thing we lost was time from work and the additional monies that we had to pay for the sumps and plumbing supplies.

Got all of our fans going and finally have the basement just about completely dry for the most part.  So expect regular updates from here on out.

Advertisements

~ by Normanomicon on July 30, 2018.

 
%d bloggers like this: